Connecticut Trees of Honor Memorial, Inc.
Walnut Grove Road
Message from Sue Martucci, CTHM Inc. President
We are pleased to report that construction of the Memorial is fully underway. Trees have been cleared, backbreaking trenching has been completed and silt fencing installed, surveying and staking has been done, more than half a dozen pieces of heavy equipment are on site and running every day and excavating and digging out a new reflecting pond and shaping the walkway around the pond is taking place!
What is truly amazing is that this project is underway with incredible volunteers and all our equipment is being donated to us. Companies and organizations donating manpower and expertise include:
* United Rentals of Bloomfield
* Retired and Apprentice Operating Engineers Local 478
* Dutton & Associates of Glastonbury – Surveyors
* Steve Nelson, Architect - Moser, Pilon, Nelson of Wethersfield
* Tom Linden, Linden Landscape Architects, LLC of Wethersfield
* Jim Horahan, Custom Tree Care LLC of Glastonbury
* Joe Butler, Distinctive Gardens & Tree Care LLC of South Windsor
* On-Site Services Inc. of Clinton and their employees.
* Middletown Office of Emergency Management
* Lee Wilson, Computers by Lee, LLC and Commander, Avon VFW Post 3272
* Mark Babineau, Old Cider Mill Landscaping of Glastonbury
We also want to thank Sean of Jukonski Truck Sales, Middletown for coming every few days to grease all the machines.
We are ever grateful to Gold Star father Jon Miller of On-Site Services in Clinton for being on the job daily to coordinate the workers and supervise operations, Brian Kronenberger of Kronenberger & Sons Restoration Company of Middletown for being construction advisor and liaison with City of Middletown officials, neighbor and veteran Tony Rosa for operating equipment and helping where needed.
Middletown business owners have been wonderful in contributing to feed our workers lunch every day and include:
Wendy's, Subway, Illianos, Nardellis, Roma Pizza, Dunkin Donuts, Nardellis, Tom Hartke (veteran and supporter)
This month we will see the completion of excavation and digging. Our hero trees will be planted and each hero’s granite post and personalized plaque will be installed. Three handsome flagpoles will be installed and the entire Memorial area will be mulched and hydro seeded.
Committee members are busy working to finalize designs for the Flag Ceremonial and Entrance plazas, meeting with sculptors and soliciting donations for concrete pavers for the walkway and plazas.
How can you help? Do you know a company that sells concrete pavers and willing to donate a pallet or two? We need 150 pallets. Can you donate gift cards to fast food restaurants or chain grocery stores so we can continue to provide lunch for our hard working volunteers?
Stop by the park any time to check out the progress and meet our wonderful volunteers and don’t forget to check out all the great photos of construction progress on our Facebook page.
We look forward to seeing you at our upcoming fundraisers later this year and don’t forget the Trees of Honor Golf Classic at Lyman Orchards to benefit CTHM.
Show your support for all veterans by becoming a CTHM Volunteer!
CTHM is currently seeking volunteers to serve in various capacities.
* Construction professionals are still needed to volunteer a few hours, a few days, or a few weeks during our Spring/Summer construction period. For more information, please contact Sue Martucci, 860-841-4287 or email@example.com
* Fundraising volunteers needed to help plan, organize, and run our 2014 events. Contact Diane at 860-930-9048 or TreesMemorial@gmail.com<
* Media and Marketing enthusiasts are needed to help spread the word about this awesome project. For more information please contact Diane DeLuzio860-930-9048 or TreesMemorial@gmail.com<
SAVE THE DATES
Trees of Honor Golf Classic sponsored by Grade A Home Improvement to benefit CTHM. This golf outing will be held at Lyman Orchards in Middlefield, CT. Registration is currently underway for the golf tournament by contacting Derek or Andrew at Grade A Home Improvement at 860-874-4848.
Statue unveiling and cocktail party. More details to follow soon.
Patriot Dinner/Dance and Salute to Veterans with silent and live auctions. Three course meal, live music by 42nd Street Band, and much more. Tickets are currently on sale for the event at www.cttreesofhonor.com<http://
For more information on these events and ways that you can help, please conctact Diane DeLuzio 860-930-9048 or TreesMemorial@gmail.com<
We are excited to announce some changes to the CTHM Executive Committee. While we are sorry to see Rose Nolan step down from her Treasurer position, we are excited to welcome Cecile Fazio to the team. Rose has been a wonderful addition to the committee and we will be forever grateful to her for the dedication and commitment to her duties as treasurer. I know that she will continue to support this wonderful project and be around for events at the park and at fundraisers.
Cecile Fazio is our new treasurer and she is no stranger to community service. She comes to us with experience as the Chapter President of the Middlesex County Blue Star Mothers organization. Cecile was instrumental in securing the Wreaths Across America honor for our 65 CTHM heroes with the display of wreaths at Middletown City Hall this past winter. She will fill the role as Treasurer for CTHM effective immediately.
While our mail will be forwarded from our old post office box in Windsor, please note that CTHM has changed our mailing address to the following:
P.O. Box 86
Cromwell, CT 06416