Westfield - According to those attending tonight's annual Westfield Picnic on the cheaper side of town, Councilman Todd Berch announced to the crowd," I have decided today that I will not be running for re-election."
While some members of the crowd exhaled their disbelief over Berch's announcement others continued to wolf down their bbq chicken and corn on the cob without any worry. "To be quite honest I wasn't too shocked by this announcement," said J.J.Ramos a resident of East Street. "The Democrats have a nasty habit of tossing off anyone that doesn't kiss their (asks: Can I say that?) asses and Berch did not support their budget vote and was not present during a crucial union vote." Ramos then went on to add that he has only been to one Common Council meeting about a year and half ago, but does watch them at home when he is babysitting his 2 year old daughter. It should be noted that Democrats need to announce their slate by August 10th in order to qualify for the 2013 election and it is anyone's guess as to who will replace Berch on the slate.What's happening here? Is two time councilman, James "I keep falling on my sword for the party" Streeto coming back into the fray or could it be the Paul Lynde sounding former mayor for a day (1968?) Vincent Lofreddo returning to the noble and amazing world of M'twn politics. Keep watching and read more below:
1. Todd Berch showed signs of individualized thinking during his term, surely a sore spot with his fellow Democratic councilmen. Only those with tenure and political teeth are allowed to roll the dice in this city and unfortunately for Mr. Berch the Dems couldn't deal, so they the dealt him off. Biggest blunder in the eyes of the D's? Voting against Drew and the Democrat's fiscal budget for 2014 that raises taxes and adds more than $7 million in new spending. Berch and the four Republicans were the only ones looking out for citizens' wallets. Middletown Insider Rating: Loss for the Dems, Berch was a solid union guy who brought a freshness to the party. With the union person gone, this archetype needs filling. Step forward Labor Lawyer Jamie Mills. Mills was recently appointed to a a variety of committees (to gain name recognition) such as the Riverfront Development Task force for she has nothing logical to offer.
2. BOE member & former Chairman Ted Raczka will not seeking another terms now that his child has graduated on the city's dime, and after the Frechette Missing Million/Scream Room embarrassment. What do you mean city dime Middletown Insider? Glad you asked, when Raczka was chair of the BOE and Michael "ME" Frechette was in charge of creation, both men formed a gentlmen's agreement with regard to Raczka's son. Example: I will tell my special education team not to fight in the PPT to send your son on the city's dime to a special education school in Cape Cod. (Coincidentally, The Racka family has a home in the area- quinkiedink..) Those families who have students with severe disabilities were not able to send their kids to the famous Cape Cod school, it's only good for a fat cat Democrat who wants more of the pie.
4. A urban legend is that the queen of Nepotism, Hope Kasper, who is on the Personnel Committee knew all the sorted details about the grievances over at the BOE and the flawed accounting system before shit hit the fan awhile back.Did she accept a deal to lay low until her term is up, vote the party line and keep her mouth shut in exchange for a specially created position tailor made for son-in-law Josh Burger at the BOE Administration? This sounds quite plausible if you ask us. (Another Democrat fat cat who wants more of the pie)
5. The Democrats advocated for a decrease in treasurer's stipend, shafting Que Phipps. Rumor has it he is not well liked after advocating against increased parking fines downtown, something Mayor Drew and Majority Leader Councilman Tom Serra wanted. It is no secret Phipps covets a council seat, but will the D's give him a chance at council or retaliate and eliminate the treasurer's position all together?
6. James Streeto vacated his council seat when he was next in line to be the public defender for a high profile home invasion triple homicide case, however was not chosen. Word on the street-O! is that Jim wants back in the game, but do the D's want to play for a THIRD time? You think Street-O would man up and demand that the Dems give him more than friggin Board of Assessment Appeals after everything he has given them over the years. Rumor has it he allows Tom Serra to take his car whenever TS needs to blow off some steam.
7. People-pleaser Vinnie Loffredo strategically stepped down from his council seat to allow Dan Drew to take his place. Why? To pad Drew's swiss cheese resume and give him a first chance at actually holding any public office ever (for 5 months anyway) prior to him becoming mayor. Is it time to call on Cousin Vinnie once again to step in, make nice with the people, and clean up the D's mess?
Who is left and who is being cannibalized by the D-machine? Keep reading.
Disclaimer: Most of our information is provided by Democrats who want, yep, you guess it... a bigger piece of pie.
OF course they threw him off the ticket. think about it. Where is berch's quote?ReplyDelete
Is Vinnie Loffredo still collecting a state paycheck or just drawing a six figure state pension?ReplyDelete
RICH get RICHER!ReplyDelete
Is it that Q spends too much time at the town's watering holes when the sunsets?ReplyDelete
This blog was... how do I say it? Relevant!ReplyDelete
! Finally I have found something that helped me. Thank you!
Here is my blog - minecraft for free (gaming-side.com)
Berch leaving is no loss. He epitomizes the phrase "not the sharpest tool in the shed"ReplyDelete
The treasurer is a figurehead position that is not really needed, and there shouldn't be a stipend for it. From the looks of it, the stipend kept the previous treasurer Big Bourne at the trough for quite some time with no benefit to the taxpayer feeding her.ReplyDelete
Now is the time for republicans to take control of the council.ReplyDelete
Get with it already! Get some people are from here, younger and have deep connections! Reach out and call someone! The Dems have got to go!
Dominque Thorton has been lurking around a lot lately at city functions. Money is on her back on the Council for the Democrats.ReplyDelete
you don't do it the Dem way, you're OUT. Ask a former Dem and Deputy Registrar. She can tell you. Koodos to her for standing her ground. And who was the ringleader to let her go. Papa Joe. Shame shame. I give you credit Todd B.ReplyDelete
God forbid. Domenique on the council. Is she that hard up. After they (Dems) tossed her out as mayor, now she's XXXXie kissing to get back. What a joke.ReplyDelete
Who could forget Dominique getting the year wrong at the Middletown High School 2002 graduation during her speech? After her DUI acquittal she "FELL" down the court house steps! She is the only person ever acquitted from a DUI because her blood sample mysteriously got lost- cheers!ReplyDelete
I think its sad an pathetic if Thornton runs again. When will she realize she was used by the Serra Team. Joe left her to be bashed on her own during the Long Lang Saga and Tommy boy promised to run and support her and then turns around and starts cutting her name off his signs. These "men" are bottom feeders but I guess Domenique like to swim with the scum. Sad.ReplyDelete
So is Ed McKeon really going to run for mayor? He and Nocera were the top vote getters and won't let anyone forget it!ReplyDelete
Dominique running for council.? Back in with the Serra boys who trashed her whenshe was mayor. Is she blind or still drinking? Big Joe was thrilled when the arrest took place. He was probably part of the scam. Now shes getting his advice. Unbelieveable. How do the Serras always come out smelling like roses? Citizens need to dig deep down and expose the real truth.ReplyDelete